Apple TV remote (also known as the Siri remote) comes equipped with voice-based control and helps in convenient browsing of all the features in Apple TV. However, your Apple TV Remote and Siri Remote may have their fair share of issue and frustrations as these can get unresponsive, start malfunctioning or stops responding altogether. Here are some of the effective fixes for troubleshooting Apple TV Remote not working issues.
STEPS TO TROUBLESHOOT APPLE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING
#1 Check the Apple TV Remote Battery for Charge
One of the most common reasons why an apple remote fails to work is due to a battery drain-out. More so, a new Apple TV remote needs to be charged once again for at least 30 minutes before it starts to function normally. The charging port is located at the bottom edge; just like in a normal iPad or an iPhone.
Also ensure the following:
- Both the charger and the cable are properly working and plugged securely
- Make sure that it’s hooked on to the power outlet securely and the outlet is working
- Old Apple TV remote may need a battery replacement (CR2032 or BR2032 lithium 3.0 V coin battery); keep positive side facing up.
To check, bring your Apple TV remote within the Bluetooth range of about 10 m and press any button to check if it’s working.
The light on your TV must blink, but if it doesn’t, then try to pair it again and reboot the Apple TV
#2 How to Pair Apple TV Remote Properly?
Steps to pair Siri Remote to Apple TV
It is important to pair the Apple TV remote correctly with your Apple TV. An Apple TV remotes can work universally across all Apple devices. Pairing a remote tells it to only talk to that particular device and on the other hand, tells the device to only receive commands from that particular remote. Unless paired properly, it could be sending a mixed signal which explains why at times trying to bring up a video from Netflix to your Apple TV will suddenly start playing something from your iPad.
- First, make sure that the path between the TV and the remote is clear and you are in the range.
- Hold the remote about 3 inches away from the Apple TV while re-pairing it.
- Now, you can start re-pairing your Apple TV with your Siri remote. Simply press and hold the ‘Home‘ + ‘Volume Up‘ buttons together for just about 5 sec. It will pop up a pairing in progress message on the Apple TV.
#3 Unpair and then Re-Pair Your Apple TV Remote to Apple TV
- In case you’ve got the Apple remotes mixed up or just want to use a single remote as a universal remote, then you can first un-pair your Apple TV remote by pressing “Menu” + “Left Arrow” simultaneously together ), holding it for around 6 seconds (“Menu” + “Previous/Rewind” buttons for older remotes). An icon showing 2 separate chains over the remote appears on the screen confirming that the remote has been successfully un-paired from the devices.
- To pair the Apple TV remote back with the Apple TV, simply press the “Menu” + “Right Arrow” buttons simultaneously together for about 6 seconds (“Menu” + “Next/Fast Forward” buttons for older remotes).
#4 Reset your Apple TV
If the issue persists, then you can reset your Apple TV to default factory settings once again.
- Go to Home >> Settings>> System >> Select ‘Reset’ or ‘Reset and Update’.
- If this doesn’t work, try resetting the Apple TV by pressing and holding the Menu + TV buttons simultaneously together until you see the light on the front of the Apple TV blinking rapidly and then release the buttons for the Apple TV to restart.
#5 Unplug and Plug Back the Power Chord from Apple TV
- Unplug the power from both ends (TV and Apple TV).
- Wait 10 seconds.
- Plug the power cable back into the Apple TV and the power point
- Turn on the Apple TV with the help of the remote to see if it works
How to Convert an iOS Device to an Apple Remote?
You can easily set up the remote functions on your iPhone or iPad and turn any of the Apple devices into an Apple TV remote with the help of an apple tv remote app.
- Before you start the process, ensure that both your iPhone (or any other Apple iOS device) is hooked to the same Wi-Fi network to allow the device to communicate and sync properly.
First, you need to launch the Control Center in your iPhone. Control Center in iOS is meant for providing instant access to some of the most accessed features like Camera, Music, Clock, Record from the screen itself. The latest Control Center has the Apple TV remote app pre-installed so there is no need to install a third-party app. In the earlier versions of iOS, you can manually add the Apple TV Remote to Control Center by going to Settings >> Open Control Center >> Click on Customize Controls>> Then tap on + sign at the Apple TV Remote to add it.
- Once you can access the Apple TV Remote App from the Control Center, just launch Control Center and tap on the Remote App.
- Click on Apple TV or Smart TV icon from the list
- It will send a verification code in your Apple TV
- Then you need to add the same code in your iPhone and wait for both the devices to pair
- Once done, you can use your iOS device to work the same way as your Apple TV remote
How to Convert an Android Mobile into an Apple TV Remote?
Although there is no official Apple TV remote Android app, there are many third-party apps that come with a user-friendly interface that works well to make an Android phone work as an Apple TV remote. You can install AnyMote Universal Remote app or CiderTV app on your Android device. Both are good and can be downloaded from the Google Play Store. These apps have an ability to work over a Wi-Fi or an old-school IR blaster.
How to Install Apple TV Remote App on your Android Device?
- Download the AnyMate app from the Google Play Store
- Launch the App>> Click on the option “Control my Wi-Fi Devices” option
- Then choose the “Apple TV (Beta)” option
- Let the AnyMate app locate your Apple TV on the Wi-Fi & then select your TV
- On your Apple TV, go to Settings >> Remotes and Devices >> Remote Apps and Devices>> Select AnyMate – Smart Remote & enter the code displayed in your Android phone to establish the connection
|Apple TV Remote Errors With Specific Products|
|Apple TV Remote Not Workingon iPhone / iPad||–||Check if the iPhone & Apple TV are on the same Wi-Fi network In iOS – Go to Settings>> Wi-Fi>> Turn it ONIn Apple TV – Settings>> Network>> Enable Wi-Fi Make sure that the iPhone or iPad is updated to the latest OS Your Apple TV is updated to the latest tvOS versionUnplug the power chord of Apple TV and plug it back inRestart your Apple TV and the iPhone or iPad|
|Apple TV Remote Not Working With Netflix||While using the touchpad, the screen freezes but scrolling works and beeps Can’t move horizontally or vertically||If the TV Remote App is installed on a device, uninstall the app and reinstall it Check if an update for the TV app is available – Go to App Store>> Navigate to Apple TV app and check and update it, orGo to Settings>> Apps>> Update Automatically>> Turn ONRestart Apple TV – Settings>> System>> RestartRefresh your network routerContact Netflix to cancel the account and set-up a new one|
|Apple TV Remote Not Working With Hulu||The problem can happen due to the app failing to work or with the remote itself||Make sure that the Apple TV and the Apple TV App if using on a phone are connected to the same Wi-Fi networkRestart the Apple TVForce close the Remote TV app Unplug the power chord of Apple TV and plug it back inUpdate the tvOS on your Apple TV|
|Apple TV Remote Not Working With YouTube||Remote does not work in Youtube but works in all other appsApple TV remote not working in YouTube app after waking up from the Sleep modeIssue mostly seen on tvOS 13.0 to later 13.2 versionCan operate it from the iPhone but not the Apple TV controller||Using a Google service or an app on Apple TV somehow kicks you out of Google account or there may be an issue with the YouTube itself In the AppleTV YouTube app – Go to Settings >> Linked Devices>> Link all iOS devices that you ownReboot your Apple TV|
You can try the above solutions to resolve your Apple TV Remote not working issue and start listening to music or your favorite program on the Apple TV. Do let us know if these solutions were helpful in fixing the problem.